Practice Schedule Pre-State Selection & Info
Update as of Sunday, December 8th: Galileo was not selected to a NorCal Bowl game. The Lions were ranked #10 by MaxPreps coming into the selection process.
The CIF Regional State Bowl games will be announced Sunday, December 8th. Each section will nominate their representatives and their respective commissioners will present their teams to a panel who will then make the final selections for the 2 teams-the winner will advance to the State Championship game against the south winner.
Galileo will submit a bid as a DII hopeful. There will be many teams who are more than deserving to rep North Cal but Galileo has a legit shot but as an underdog because more often than not, the non-league schedule is never up to par with other leagues. Here the Lions and their faithful are hoping for some grace and a bit of a miracle. If Galileo gets the nod, it will be a historic event not only for Galileo but also for San Francisco. The last time the Lions faced such positive odds were in 2001 when they finished 12-0 and top 5 in the Bay Area but the current state championship format was not in effect then.
Here are the collective stats and arguments in favor of Galileo (final MaxPreps state ranking = 564):
- Final Record 12-1 (9-0 in league) and 12-0 after their loss to Tamalpais in their season opener. Galileo was down 20-0 8-minutes into that game before rallying to a 36-41 deficit with 2-minutes left. Running back Ronzel Fox twisted his knee in the first series after a defender grabbed his face mask and did not play for the rest of the game. Galileo’s defense was without linebacker, Lala Haro, and free safety, Nate Riley.
- The Explosive Offense averaged a record shattering 52 points in the season but dropped to 48.6 after the 2 post season games in which the Lions posted 46 and 34 points. Galileo topped the 50-point mark in 7 games and scored over 40 in 3 other games.
- Three Defensive Shutouts (De Anza 63-0, Burton 54-0, Washington 58-0)
- Strength of Opponents: Tamalpais (5-6, beat Galieo 48-36) lost in first round of CIFNCS playoffs to El Cerrito, Ft Bragg (5-6, lost to Galileo 57-30) lost in first round of CIFNCS playoffs to St. Mary’s.
- Kyle Nelson (QB) stat line: 182/265 passes with a .687 completion percentage, 3194 total yards, 47 TD passes vs 4 interceptions, rushed 57 times for 338 YDS and 11 TDS.
- The Receiving Corps: Dontell Jackson (65/1202 YDS 12 TDS), Isaac Armstrong (8 games played, 34/598 YDS 10 TDS), Todd Holland (29/557 YDS 11 TDS), Rodney Morgan (17/322 YDS 9 TDS).
- The Rushing Corps: Ronzel Fox (8 games played, 125/1361 YDS, 21 receptions for 292 YDS, 21 TDS & 1 TD receiving), Lala Haro (6 games played but only 3 as running back, 38/294 YDS & 3 TDS, 6 receptions for 151 YDS & 2 TDS).
- Points for and against: Galileo totaled 633 points against their opponents’ 283.
- Programmatic Integrity: this season Galileo set another school record with a 45-man roster, topping the 40 they had in 2009. Galileo exemplified good sportsmanship throughout the season and had represented their school, league, and the game of football well. Their fan base reaches alumni and students of other schools who have come to respect their sportsmanship. Galileo will continue to compete with honor.
Galileo’s Practice Schedule Pre-Selection Week
- MON – meeting in weight room & weights with light conditioning
- TUES –
shells practice 3:25-5:30 PM(middle school soccer game) practice canceled
- WED –
full practice 2:30-5PM(middle school soccer game) shells 2:25-2:50
- THURS – full practice 2:30-4:30PM
- FRI –
shells practice 3:25-5PM(middle school soccer game) practice canceled
- SAT – TBA
*You know what they say…”if you’re praying for rain then bring an umbrella to church“. Let’s finish strong and pray for that miracle to happen December 8th.